Sunday, February 19, 2017

Rainbows! (Who Doesn't Love 'Em?)


Really, who doesn't love rainbows? I've taught kids of all ages and they always love rainbows (and unicorns?)!


So, we've been getting pelted by rain and more rain this winter - which for Southern California is a big accomplishment! No more drought (for now) which means lots of green plants and trees, and lots of rainbows!


This lesson was a two-parter. The first day (while it was raining, no less), I had the lambies paint a circular rainbow by following along with an example so they could see the order. I had the paints in a paint tray with each color and a brush for each color. I showed them to switch their brushes each time they used a new color so that they could keep the paints as clean as possible.

























Thank you to Jackie at Happy Hooligans for this awesome idea!

I started with the older lambies, two at a time, figuring (correctly) that they would get less adept at painting circles as we got to the younger ones - which was fine! They all turned out beautifully in my opinion. 





I just love this little tiny lambie who just wanted to mush the paint around and see what would happen!
The second day I brought a bag of cotton balls, turquoise blue construction paper (12 x 18"), glue, brushes, glue bowls, and a ton of sequins. I cut out their circles from the previous week and cut them in half to create two rainbows for each lambie. I showed them how to rip apart the cotton balls (some followed along, others just glued the whole thing down), and let them go to town. They had so much fun!!!!




This lambie discovers he can roll the cotton balls between his hands to shape them.


I love how this little guy goes nuts with the sequins!

A very happy artist!

These three little cutie pies worked together on one of their pieces to cover the whole thing with cotton balls! They were so sweet helping each other out and so focused on their task. I loved it!



Pure rainbow-y joy!



No comments:

Post a Comment