Sunday, April 29, 2018

Kindergarteners Make Tiny Thumbelina Figurines in Clay - Photo Shoot Immortalizes Them

I try to incorporate relevant life experiences as well as other school curricula with my art curriculum. Each grade at my school does a play each year and last year the kindies did "Tiny Thumbelina."


The lesson was one in hand building with clay. For figurines I showed them how to create a base and build up from there, making sure to score and slip to connect each part. They were allowed to make any character that they wanted to from the play, from Thumbelina, to Mama Mouse, they all came out so cute.

Thumbelina sleeping on a flower.

One of the great things about my school is all of the green space and water features. Since it is a Country Day School there is a certain amount of nature that needs to be present. Because of this, we were able to find a variety of settings to place the figurines in and photograph them. Each student placed their sculpture in a spot and then I took photos with my camera on a macro setting. They came out really sweet!











Oh no! A bunch of spiders!



Once these were finished I had them printed and framed them. They are hanging in the office and make the space feel so warm to visitors.


How do you incorporate other school curricula into your art program? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!




No comments:

Post a Comment